Wednesday, June 3, 2009

My Mother's Day Fun (Sorry No Pictures)

The month of May wasn't a great month for me. I was a good girl and had my flu shot last October, I take a multi-vitamin daily, and I have really tried (notice I say really try) to exercise at least four times a week. Plus, I cut out soda and only drink water. This probably helps since I haven't had a head cold or anything else in way over a year and I'm surrounded by kids daily, yet May was the month for other fun things.

It started when we took Camryn to Disneyland and on our second day there I got food poisoning from eating at Denny's. Imagine being at the happiest place on earth sicker than a dog! I kept guzzling water and walking until finally poor Paul bought me some liquid Imodium AD since that was all the park really had for sickness. I think I swallowed half the bottle. I felt much better by the afternoon, but how sad to ruin my pleasant thoughts of Disneyland with horrific nauseating ones of me running to the bathroom every 15 minutes. Big thanks to my fam who waited patiently for my many trips to the john.

Then, big weekend for Madison since she's been preparing for a dance competition and it was Mother's Day weekend. My back started feeling achy, yet I associated it with that time of the month until the big pain hit and after three hours of pure torture I finally went to the ER to get some pain medication to help relieve the pain of a kidney stone that was stuck. If you've never had a kidney stone attack, be grateful. I would never wish that trauma on anybody. It is excruciating, mind blowing, and the type of pain where you kinda go into a state of shock. Let me tell you, the feeling of a knife coming out of your hoo-ha is probably the worst thing I've ever had to experience. The pain is so intense it literally makes you vomit and you can't sit because of the pain. Finally, I was given morphine which immediately relieved the pain. So I told the nurse I loved her and she was my new b/f. At that moment she was! I was told that my stone was stuck in my urethrae tube, yet it was almost to my bladder which was a great thing. Yea, right! Plus, it was too small to be surgically removed so I had to wait for it to pass. It must have since I've been pain free since.

During this time Paul had to take Maddie to her dance competition. Now, Paul usually is just a spectator and supporter with her dance so actually trying to get her ready with full makeup, hair, and costume and then getting her to the location was very trying for him. While I'm dying in the hospital he gets to play Super Dad! He did great and Maddie did pretty good.

The Doctor at the ER gave me some pain meds and other stuff to help with the stone and sent me on my way. The next day was Mother's Day. Yea for me! I layed on the couch all day while Paul made all of my favorite foods: salsa and chips, steak and corn, and watermelon with fruit dip. What a great day. Until 2:00 AM when I started puking my guts out and continued to do so until 9:00 AM. Every 15 minutes I was up puking. So everything I loved on Mother's Day I'll never eat again. I went to my family doctor to see what was up and he determined I had an allergic reaction to the morphine,I think he was wrong since throughout the rest of the week four other members of my family had the stomach flu so on top of dealing with kidney stones I get the stomach flu.

So now it's June and finally everyone is well. I'm doing great and actually went and saw a urologist about my frequent kidney stone attacks. I'll be having a bunch of tests done to see why my body keeps forming them, plus making some changes in my diet to not offset any stones since the doc informed that there is a 90% chance that I'll have them again. Why me?

2 comments:

steph j. said...

Jeez! What a tough time you had, really! That all really sucks! I've had a kidney infection but never the stones and from the sound of it, I pray I never do. Did you have infections before the stones? I hope you all through with the sicknesses and pain so you can enjoy your summer off.

Kimberly Davis said...

I started hurting just listening to your pain. I seriously kept waiting for you to say the you were Preg, with all the throw up & stuff. Paul sounds so great, doing your daughter's hair - stuff like that doesn't fly to well in our house - and he cooked for you!!!! My husband only cooks "take out" You better keep him around, I 'm so glad your feeling better!!!!