Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Cave Lake


Yes, Paul finally talked me into going camping. I only relented because I've been putting it off forever, but I knew my kids would enjoy going. Seriously, I'm not a camper. The whole woods and fishing thing just isn't my idea of fun, but I braved it and was ready to go. Aunt Pam and Uncle Ray were going with us so we were taking two vehicles. Paul, Jaxon, Ray, and Tanner in one car. Pam, me, Camryn, and Maddie in another.
We left on a Friday evening headed toward Cave Lake which is on the outskirts of Ely, Nevada. It's about a 4-5 hour drive from Vegas. Our plan was to make it to the campsite in the evening and set up camp, but our plans didn't quite turn out that way. Jaxon hadn't been feeling well (remember I had the flu, then Camryn got it, and then Anna had her turn). We were a half hour from Vegas when Paul pulled over because Jaxon was puking in his truck. Nice! Paul cleaned him up the best he could and we got back on our way. We kept on going until we realized that the highway was closed due to an accident so we had to turn around and go another way.
Now, I'm thinking maybe this is a sign and we should just go home because then Madison starts complaining about her stomach hurting so we stop again to take restroom breaks. While stopped Paul informed me that he left Jaxon's shoes on the side of the road while he was cleaning up the puke so now I'm searching the hick town store looking for a pair of shoes since I only packed one pair. I finally found some fluorescent green Crocs that fit him perfect.

We get on the road and soon Maddie starts complaining again so we pull over. I end up giving her to Paul to deal with and he gave me puke child Jaxon (who smelled oh so fragrant!) Soon Jaxon starts puking again so Pam has to pull over again so I can clean him up. A half hour later Paul pulls over again because Maddie is now puking. It's now 9:00 PM...we left Vegas at 4:00 PM and we're still not in Ely. We've pulled over who knows how many times and I'm done! Paul made the wonderful decision to stay the night in a hotel so we can do some wash, clean Jaxon's car seat, and have a good night sleep. Oh happy day! Jaxon puked again before the night was over, but it was nice to sleep in a real bed and not be traveling.
The next day we made it to camp, fished all day, made some great meals, laughed when Pam fell down, and just enjoyed ourselves being out in the woods and being together as a family. I slept great and actually had a really good time. The highlight of the trip was definitely the toliets and hot shower that they had at the campsite. No one was sick the rest of the trip and we made it home quick, safe, and sound.








Spending almost two days in the woods with family....somewhat enjoyable.
Dealing with pukey kids just to make my hardworking hubby happy...valuable moments.
Watching Pam trip and fall on her face....hilarious.
Catching a fish, degutting it, and watching the blood ooze down my arm...a rare feat.

Finding Jaxon's shoes on the side of the highway on our way home....PRICELESS!!!

6 comments:

Sanders said...

OH MY GOSH Kris!!! I cannot believe all the things that went wrong on your trip!!!

Quotes that made me laugh, "hick town store", "who smelled oh so fragrant", "Finding Jaxon's shoes on the side of the highway on our way home....PRICELESS"...too funny!

Oh my! At least you maintained your sense of humor! Shew! I was so glad to read on and find out that you actually had a good time once you got there! :o)

We definitely need to get together this summer, no excuses!

Amy said...

We love camping! Sometimes you just have a rotten trip every once in a while. Try going again!

Heather and Taylor said...

I am right there with you! I hate camping more than anything! But, it looks like everything turned out in the end. :)

Pammy said...

We will remember this campout for a long time! It truely was lot's of fun. And I loved my brother's insistance that we get a room that first night, he read our mind!!(ha ha)!But my knees feel much better now, so I can't wait to go again! Or maybe we should just go back to Disneyland!Hmmm.....

Kimberly Davis said...

I can't stop laughing - I would have totally turned around the first puke!!! Nice fish!

Hilllary Howland said...

Hey I want your email address! I had so much fun with you in Vegas! If it were a little closer I would drive and stay for a week! I have a lot of free time on my hands now that Nicholas is doing rotations!