Monday, March 9, 2009

A Sick Lil' Girl


Last week I had a sick little girl. A really sick little girl that I probably should have taken to the ER, but didn't.
Last Tuesday night Camryn climbed into our bed in the middle of the night burning with fever and coughing like she had the croup. When she coughs she pukes so Paul and I were jumping up all night taking her to the toilet. The next morning I took her temp which read 104. This is what it stayed for the entire day even with Motrin. She slept the entire day and would only wake up when I gave her medicine or forced her to drink some water.
That evening we took her temperature again and the thermometer read 106!! Paul and I were FREAKING out and wondering what to do. We stripped her clothes and put her in a lukewarm bath while I sent my mom to CVS to get a new thermometer to see what a different thermometer would read since I have never seen a temp go that high. That was our deciding factor as to whether or not we go to the ER.
Anna returned with the thermometer and it read at 105. 15 minutes later it had dropped to 102. Another 15 minutes it had dropped to 101 so the bath and Motrin were finally kicking in. We decided to keep her comfy and put her back to bed and watch her throughout the night. The last time I took her temp it read 99 so I felt pretty good about keeping her at home.
The next morning her cough was horrible and she sounded as if she had just ran a marathon, plus her 104 fever was back. Not wasting any time we left for the doctor who I knew would take care of her.
The doctor knew just by looking at her what her diagnosis was, but he wanted to take proper tests so Camryn had to have a chest x-ray and her oxygen levels were tested. The diagnosis was the beginning of pneumonia! What?! For a 4 year old?
Doc gave her a shot in the booty and the poor girl had to take a decongestant twice a day, Motrin when needed, antibiotic once a day, a steroid once a day, and use her breathing machine 4 times a day for an entire week. It was a crazy week! I've never seen Camryn sleep as much as she did nor eat and talk as little. Those who know my little bundle of energy will agree with me that this is very not normal. The medicine worked and now about 8 days of medicine and staying in the house she is finally better.
Many people asked me how she got so sick and with pneumonia, but I have no answer. Obviously, just a virus in the air that she picked up and it attacked her immune system. Yea, my little girl is better and things are getting back to normalcy. Thank goodness I was on track break so I could take care of her.

About 5 days after she was sick I thought it would be good for her to get out of the house and go for a car ride. She lasted ten minutes until she was fast asleep.


Camryn on her fun breathing machine 4 times a day. She didn't mind doing it since she knew it helped.

I hope everyone else isn't suffering with illness this time of year.

5 comments:

Kimberly Davis said...

The pictures are hilarious, I know the poor thing is sick, but I couldn't stop laughing at the pictures, the breathing one cracks me up.....I've been there done that!

Sanders said...

First, I totally love your background, second, that first picture is totally priceless, you better hide those when she gets older! Too funny!

Sanders said...

So glad that she's better!

tiffunny said...

Yikes - glad she's feeling better!

laurie Carlson said...

Poor Çamryn! So glad she is feeling a lot better now. It's great when life gets back to normal?!?