Thursday, November 6, 2008

First Major Owie for Jaxon

No Mom of the Year award for me. In our bedroom we have a treadmill that my kids are infatuated with and are continually turning it on while watching their toys slide down the treadmill like a conveyor belt. Of course when I see this happening it's stopped, they're reprimanded, and they do something else yet today I had just got done telling Camryn to turn off the machine and was emptying trash cans when I heard Jaxon screaming. To my horror he had his fingers caught at the bottom of the treadmill while it was moving. In my panic I yanked his fingers out since they were being eaten by the belt (kinda reminded me of feet getting stuck on escalators)when I should have turned off the treadmill first. I about puked with what I saw and instantly knew we were headed to the ER. Go ahead....Take a look...













Yes, the white is bone that you see from skin being scraped off. I ended up taking him to my family doctor since I knew he had an x-ray machine and I was worried that he had broken some of his fingers since they swelled up so quick. His thumb had major damage along with the inside of his index and middle finger which looked like a big chunk of finger was missing. I wanted to hurl and felt so bad for my little guy.

Luckily, nothing was broken but a special mesh (second skin) had to be placed on all fingers and then bandaged very tightly for the skin to heal. He came pretty close to rupturing a tendon and has to be watched carefully this weekend for infection or circulation problems. Then Monday we go back to the Dr. to change the dressings and make sure that the wounds are healing. He's good now and we're keeping him drugged with Motrin for pain. Poor baby.




The good news is that I'm on track break until Dec. 1!!! Yea me!

8 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh no!!!! Poor little guy!! That looks majorly painful! I hope it heals up well. Good luck with all that. I am sure this is just what you wanted to deal with during your "relaxing" track break!!

Melissa D. said...

I couldn't even look at the pictures. It was bad enough just to read about it. I hope it heals fast and hopefully you can enjoy the rest of your vacation.

laurie Carlson said...

Poor Jaxon!! I feel so bad for him. Hopefully it will heal quickly and you will be able to have tons of fun on your big break!!

Sanders said...

How scary Kris! You just acted on impulse, your babie's fingers were in there & you wanted them out. Jaxon looked pretty happy eating that sucker and getting some good drugs! Sounds like it's going to heal up fine :0)

Sorry that you had such a tramatic day! You can still qualify for the Mom of the Year Award!

Heidi said...

AHHH! That looks so painful! Poor little guy! It is the worst when your kids are hurt! Miss you guys--I think that it is time for a visit...

tiffunny said...

Ouch - poor guy (and poor mom for having to deal with such a crisis). Sounds like you handled it well & i'm glad that his injuries weren't worse. HOpe the rest of your track break goes better (we're on the same track)

Christina said...

I almost threw up myself! Hope he is feeling better.

Those People With The Crazy Kids said...

Again....OUCH! So sorry he had to experience that (you too!). It toatlly sounds like something that Carson would get himself into. Who knew treadmills could be so evil!?!