Saturday, April 18, 2009

Easter

This year at Easter it was really relaxed and fun. We colored eggs which I very much HATE to do because of the smell, mess, and stains galore on little bodies and furniture. Yet, the kids do enjoy it so we always do it. I even thought I was increasing my load by buying 2 dozen eggs for them to color. My friend Kim outdid me by saying that her family dyes 8 dozen eggs! So much for that...I think 2 is all I can stomach without tossing them in the trash as soon as we are done! Yes, it was a horrible mess and we were all stained green, plus we had many broken eggs, but the kids loved it which is what counts...right?

The Easter Bunny found our house and left his paw prints. I was informed by Camryn that I forgot to leave out a carrot for the Easter Bunny and he probably took some of her candy. I guess my 4 year old realized that the baskets were a little small. I decided to not go all out for my kids this year and only bought some candy and a swimsuit for their baskets. I felt it was getting extremely commercialized in my household when certain children are wanting to write a list of what they want for Easter!For some reason Tanner was never around when I had my camera out, but yes I do have a 4th child!




We played hookie from church and took the kids to breakfast. On holidays it's very important to me that my children spend a lot of time with their dad and we do things together as a family. Madison was miserable at breakfast (tonsils) so we made a mad dash to get back home. We did drive around our old stomping grounds and showed the kids where mom and dad grew up and where our first homes were. It was such a reflective moment for Paul and I to see where we started so many years ago and to now see what our life has become. I was almost sad to view my old neighborhood and remember how I couldn't wait to leave the 'hood, yet I never ever thought that I would so desperately want to go back and live that way again. I was actually homesick for old neighborhoods! I've really had some good years and am quite blessed for what I have. I guess just seeing how you lived really puts things into perspective of how your life has become.

Anyhoo...Later that afternoon Paul taught Camryn how to ride her bike without any training wheels! She was so proud of herself and I was surprised by how quick she learned. Jaxon was loving every minute of riding his scooter and always made an effort to give her a high five every time she fell. Of course, he won't touch his bike.



Sometime during the day the Easter Bunny hid eggs in our backyard. The kids loved it which made me feel better since I had major guilt for not taking them to any community hunts which I always do, but this they loved.



I did no cooking for the day and we all snacked and ate pizza leftovers from the night before so it was a great day. I'm so grateful for my family, friends, and life. As Camryn would say, "This Easter was the best Easter Day I've ever had." Thanks mom!!

4 comments:

Amy said...

I agree that Easter is getting REALLY commercialized (SP???). Good for you for getting back to the good old Easter egg hunt in your backyard! It looks like the kids had a blast. I am jealous that she learned how to ride her bike without training wheels - neither of my kids have mastered that yet.

Kimberly Davis said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the foot prints, that is one of the best ideas I've ever seen.....I'm going to remember that for next year!

Almost everytime I come home I take a little stroll around our old stoping grounds, I love where we grew up, the ward, the frinds, the school...I don't think I'd ever want to move back, (I totally keep my car doors locked,) but I have so many great memories!!

Melissa D. said...

I try to keep Easter gifts pretty simple also. They usually get one gift each or I get something that all the kids can share. We don't need another holiday where they get tons of gifts! I love that idea also with the paw prints.

tiffunny said...

Sounds like you had a great day!! I love all the stuff you did together as a family!